College Student Inventory™For incoming first-year students at four-year and two-year campuses
Use this early-alert survey to identify at-risk students, focus advisors on key concerns, and link students to resources
The College Student Inventory identifies at-risk students in the incoming class using the leading noncognitive indicators of college student success. You and your colleagues receive detailed information about each student's academic motivations, areas of risk, and receptivity to specific student services. This survey can be administered before classes get under way or soon after classes begin, providing you with data to make interventions more meaningful and relevant, before a student begins disengaging.
Used by more than 1,400 institutions and completed by more than 2.6 million students nationwide, the College Student Inventory is the leading tool for early identification and early intervention with your newest students.
"Before we were using the College Student Inventory, there was a lot of speculation about what individual students needed. Now we have a clear understanding and a roadmap to maximize student success."
—Martha Shawver, Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs and Research, Wichita State University (Kansas)
Have a question about the College Student Inventory, or about student retention strategies? Talk with us.
Send us an email or call 1-800-876-1117 and ask to speak to our student retention strategists. Learn how to use the CSI to:
Manage your surveying and data online through the customized Retention Data Center dashboard
The College Student Inventory gives you access to the online Retention Data Center, a fully customized portal where you can manage and filter your data, run reports, and share information with key retention colleagues. Learn more.
Administer surveys via mobile devices
Students can take the College Student Inventory on mobile phones and tablets. Plus you can administer all assessments through an online dashboard.
Available in multiple formats: paper or online, English or Spanish
Choose from three forms of the College Student Inventory. Note that even if you choose paper administration of the CSI, you will receive your reports online.
- Form A (paper or online, 194 items)
Offers the most comprehensive analysis with 19 motivational assessment scales.
- Form B (paper or online, 100 items)
The most widely used version of the CSI, Form B analyzes student attitudes across 17 different scales.
- Form C (online only, 74 items)
Designed specifically for students who seek to balance work, family, and academics, such as adult learners.
- Canadian version (online only, 100 items)
This version of Form B reflects Canadian terminology and spelling.
- Spanish versions: Forms A, B, and C are available in online Spanish versions.
Additional RMS Plus assessments
These reports analyze responses from sizable samples of College Student Inventory respondents.
Additional solutions for Student Success
RNL Student Success™
Discover the most comprehensive way to nurture and develop successful students from pre-enrollment through graduation.
RNL Student Retention Predictor™
Identify student retention risk factors through advanced analytics.
- Student Satisfaction Inventory™ for traditional-aged undergraduate students.
- Institutional Priorities Survey™ for administrators, faculty, and staff.
- Adult Learner Inventory™ for undergraduate students 25+ enrolled at adult-learning-focused institutions.
- Adult Student Priorities Survey™ for graduate students and adult undergraduate students as well as adult students in weekend, evening, and continuing education courses.
- Priorities Survey for Online Learners™ for students in online distance learning programs.
- Parent Satisfaction Inventory™ for parents of college students at four-year institutions.