College and University SEO Strategies
How does college and university SEO really work?
Many factors influence college website search rankings. Knowing what to change is half the battle in improving your college website SEO.
Now you can see for yourself how this works. Take a look at these real-world examples for Centennial University, a fictitious university trying to improve its search engine rankings. You’ll see what the pages looked like before using these SEO strategies and how much they improve after search engine optimization.
Example 1: Enhancing title tags and keywords on the Biology Department page
- Poor SEO means the Biology department page has a good chance of being ranked lower in search results than competing institutions.
- Page content focuses on the courses offered rather than benefits to students.
- Improve SEO by adding keyword-rich title tags.
- Increase the likelihood of search result being clicked by students by writing a compelling metatag, the description students will see on the search page.
- Create page content that conveys the benefits of the program to students rather than listing the courses for the major.
Example 2: Adding keywords to headings and image tags for Graphic Design
- The Graphic Design program page has headings that lack strong SEO-rich keywords.
- Images on the page have no “alt tags” that help vision-impaired visitors and add more opportunities for search optimized keywords.
- Dense text blocks are not friendly for readers.
- Strengthen the page’s SEO through keyword-rich headings and subheads.
- Add keywords to the image alt tags of pictures.
- Present page copy that’s optimized for web reading, increasing reader interest when visitors arrive at the page.
Example 3: Enhancing the SEO potential of a URL on the music department page
- The page for the Bachelor’s in Music has a weak URL for SEO purposes, a significant factor in search rankings.
- The page content also needs to include better keywords for search as well as details about how the Music department helps its students reach their goals.
- Embed smart SEO terms in the URL of a page.
- Add critical search keywords to a webpage.
- Write webpage content that addresses the goals of the student/reader.
Learn how you can better influence search rankings with a complimentary SEO Overview Assessment. We will analyze the most influential search engine parameters and make recommendations for strengthening your search engine ranking position.
Simply send your SEO Overview Assessment request and we’ll give you a topline evaluation based on current higher education SEO best practices.
Strategy Roadmap Solutions
RNL Digital Marketing and Creative Services
Drive online engagement and build connections that produce great enrollment results.
RNL Comprehensive Consulting for Student Recruitment, Retention, and Financial Aid
Make your enrollment efforts more effective and efficient—from awareness to financial aid awarding to graduation.
RNL Strategic Enrollment Planning
Ensure long-term enrollment success and fiscal health by aligning your institution’s fiscal, academic, co-curricular, and enrollment resources with its changing environment.
RNL Market Research
Guide your enrollment decisions with solid research and data on academic demand, price sensitivity and cost, and other key areas.