Fundraising and Donor Engagement Resources for COVID- 19 (Coronavirus) Response
Vice President of Research
March 13, 2020
As campuses and organizations respond to the pressing needs to mitigate the coronavirus pandemic and respond to those in need, we’re also all wondering what this means for fundraising.
We still have goals to meet, we’re nervous about what the personal and economic impacts could mean for philanthropy, and we’re getting a lot of questions about messaging, events, and specific appeal tactics.
First, we invite you to join our LinkedIn group on the higher education response to COVID-19. We’re posting regularly with materials, insights and open questions about what our institutions are and can be doing for both donor and prospective student engagement.
Here are a few recent blogs and other resources on how this health crisis will impact donor engagement:
- RNL President and CEO Sumit Nihjawan offers an update on what we’re doing to support both enrollment and donor engagement during this difficult time.
- The Chronicle of Philanthropy has curated a resource page with topics about communicating during crisis, when to cancel an event, and lessons from previous experiences.
- AGN’s resource page includes features from their archives and new materials on fundraising in a crisis.
- Michael Rosen offers answers to the question “how will this affect fundraising” as well as suggestions on how to stay present with donors amidst the crisis and a reminder that they will continue to give.
- Giving USA reviews the charitable giving incentives for donors in the CARES Act.
- And they also have a great article on what we can learn from previous crises.
- Lynne Wester offers great insights on what we can do for donors in times of crisis.
- JG&A outlines key points for staying the course with your donor engagement.
- M+R Research offers suggestions and an open discussion on how to engage donors, including the reminder not to go silent with them during this.
- Network for Good suggests a two-pronged approach to fundraising during and after a crisis.
- Veritus Group breaks down what to do about lost revenue, events, and meeting with donors.
- Blackbaud offers suggestions on virtual galas. And also how to keep momentum on in person events happening down the road.
- Donor-Advised funds gifts seem to be increasing, outlined in this Chronicle article.
- We outline #GivingTuesdayNow strategies, for this global event set for May 5.
- The RNL blog features strategy on student emergency funds, crisis messaging, and digital engagement.
- Recent Fundraising Voices podcasts include experts talking about what they’ve done with emergency funds, and what we’re hearing from fundraisers about their engagement plans.
We’ll update this page with new blogs and resources as they come out. If you see something you think other fundraisers should read, please drop us a line.
We’re here to talk
All of us at RNL are here to serve you and help you navigate the challenges of the COVID-19 crisis. Please reach out to schedule a time to talk with us, we can share our insights on how you can serve your alumni, donors, and other constituents during this difficult time.