Mid-Year Student Assessment™For college students at the mid-point of their first year
Build on the success of your first-term interventions with this online survey of college students' needs at mid-year
The Mid-Year Student Assessment (MYSA) is the follow-up survey to the College Student Inventory (CSI) and is compatible with CSI Form B and Form C. It examines the non-cognitive, motivational needs of your students at the mid-point of their first year and shows you how to adjust your interventions to meet students' current needs and receptivity to assistance.
"The data from the Mid-Year Student Assessment are very rich, providing us with information on how students are doing at this time. Advisors receive information on students who intend to transfer or are undecided about their future college plans."
—Harriett Schenk, Assistant Dean, Student Academic Affairs, Caldwell College (NJ)
Have a question about the Mid-Year Student Assessment, or about student retention strategies? Talk with us.
Send us an email or call 1-800-876-1117 and ask to speak to our student retention strategists. Learn how to use the MYSA to:
Compare changes in college student motivations over the course of the first term
You can administer this follow-up survey at the end of the first term or at the beginning of the second term, and then compare the results to the data from the College Student Inventory you administered at the beginning of the first term. The resulting data:
- Identifies changes in students' academic and social needs and concerns, providing a springboard for mid-year action planning and follow-up.
- Determines where there are gaps between students' receptivity to support services at the beginning of the year and students' actual usage of services by mid-year.
- Pinpoints the college completion plans of students at mid-year: You learn which students expect to complete their degrees at your campus, transfer to another institution, withdraw, or are unsure of their plans for the next term.
- Determines which campus services students utilize the most.
- Provides updates on individual student's receptivity to campus services at mid-year.
In addition, this CSI mid-year post-test assesses students' satisfaction at mid-year with nine aspects of the campus experience, creates benchmarks for end-of-term progress, and allows you to add up to 10 customized, campus-specific items.
Get online access to your assessment data along with accompanying reports for students and staff
You have immediate access to the data through the Retention Data Center. You receive the following standard reports, and can also create a wide range of custom reports using data filters. (Click links to see each sample):
Student Report—Shows students how their strengths and needs are evolving as they continue their college careers.
Advisor/Counselor Report—Provides detail to make advising/counseling conversations more student focused and action oriented.
Summary and Planning Report—Provides cohort and individual student information for strategies and prioritized outreach.
For information on administering the Mid-Year Student Assessment, see our frequently-asked questions and our implementation guidelines for campuses using CSI-Form B or our implementation guidelines for campuses using CSI-Form C.
Additional solutions for Student Success
RNL Student Success™
Discover the most comprehensive way to nurture and develop successful students from pre-enrollment through graduation.
RNL Student Retention Predictor™
Identify student retention risk factors through advanced analytics.
- Student Satisfaction Inventory™ for traditional-aged undergraduate students.
- Institutional Priorities Survey™ for administrators, faculty, and staff.
- Adult Learner Inventory™ for undergraduate students 25+ enrolled at adult-learning-focused institutions.
- Adult Student Priorities Survey™ for graduate students and adult undergraduate students as well as adult students in weekend, evening, and continuing education courses.
- Priorities Survey for Online Learners™ for students in online distance learning programs.
- Parent Satisfaction Inventory™ for parents of college students at four-year institutions.